Welcome to The Hand Lettering Forum!
This is an interactive Bulletin Board on the topics of Sign making, design, fabrication, History, old Books and of coarse Letterheads, Keepers of the craft. The Hand Lettering Forum features links to resources, sign art history, techniques, and artists profiles. Learn more about Letterheads at https://theletterheads.com. Below you'll see Mchat has been added as a live communication portal for trial, and the Main forum Links are listed below.

More Eye Candy: J.M. Bergling (big image)

Hand Lettering topics: Sign Making, Design, Fabrication, Letterheads, Sign Books.

Moderators: Ron Percell, Mike Jackson, Danny Baronian

Site Man

More Eye Candy: J.M. Bergling (big image)

Post by Site Man »

OLD FORUM POSTS

Posted by Mike Jackson on March 10, 2004

Hey Letterheads,
I dug out an old book originally copyrighted 1914 by J.M. Bergling called "Art Alphabets & Lettering". Bergling was a master engraver and an equally talented pen and ink artist.

I thougt I would share a couple very nice initial letters from the book.

Mike Jackson
Mike Jackson

This is one of my favorite effects Bergling commonly used. The main lettering is bold and ledgible, then he adds an offest outline and adds very fine ornamentation in the outline...wow!

I've tried to visualize this effect in gold. I think I would angel gild the fine offset outlines and maybe glue chip the lettering. The lettering would probably be a killer if silvered and then a nice maroon or deep muted color for the space between the fine outline and the letter. The offset outline would need an outline in black or a dark color. The inner color would depend on the value of the background color of the panel.

Going the other direction, on a light marble background you might paint the lettering black or very dark, outline it with matte gold and complete it with the burnished gold on the fine outlines.

If you have suggestions for colorizing this effect, be sure to make them here.

Mike

Mike Jackson - Same Image - Reversed

Just out of curiosity, I reversed the image to see how it would look on a dark background. It is much easier to visualize this in gold against a medium dark or very dark background in this image.

Mike
Mike Jackson - Colorized P

Just for grins, I digitized just the P from the previous image and then colorized it in Photoshop. This more or less imitates an acid etch mica center with blended gold and burnished decorative outlines. Nice effect!

Mike
Barbara Schilling
Nice Job Mike. I love your vision. You have what makes the difference between a sign ARTIST and a sign CRAFTSPERSON.
Good PS work too. I am hosting David Butler workshop here on 4/30, 5/1&2. REally looking forward to making better use of that tool! Your use and knowlege always impress me.

Barb
Mike Jackson - One More Letterstyle

Here's one more nifty old style flourished alphabet by J.M. Bergling. Something tells me he did a few signs along the way,too.

Mike Jackson